Thursday, November 27, 2003

Better Off Dead...: Ah, those 80's teen movies... It's really quite amazing how little John Cusack has changed. O.K., he's a little less goofy (I don't expect to see him stick Q-tips in his ears, nose and mouth again in my life, for instance), but his mannerisms and gestures are still the same today.

While not a cinematic masterpiece, this movie gave me a lot of laughs. I think my favourite part was when Lane (John Cusack) talks himself out of hanging himself, only to have his mother accidentally knock him off the garage steps as she's vacuuming. It's all the funnier because you can't hear his choking over the vacuum. You just watch him flailing around for a few minutes. It actually reminded me of the opening scene in Harold and Maude.

There was also a nod to that famous shot in The Graduate, as Lane walks in on his little brother's trashy-women party. :-) And, get this, there's a whole Web site dedicated to that beautiful '67 Camaro. Ah, the wonders of the Internet!

O.K., I just took a break from blogging to read a bit of that guy's site, and gotta say, the privacy advocate in me just cringes. Go read how he managed to track down and buy the very Camaro used in the movie. It's amazing what you can find with some forms and private investigation services. *shudder* Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!