Saturday, November 29, 2003

It Runs in the Family (2003): Amongst the cast are three generations of the Douglas family, including both of Michael's parents. Really amazing, when you think about it. Kirk Douglas gives an inspired performance. I haven't heard him speak in many years, so I don't know whether his speech impediment was exaggerated for the role of Mitchell (both actor and character suffered strokes, Douglas in 1995), but the character was great, and dominated every scene he was in.

While I really enjoyed some scenes, much of the story seemed a bit contrived; enjoyable for one viewing, but not a keeper. It's unfortunate because most of Mitchell's scenes were fantastic; heartbreaking, in fact, as the movie progressed. I would... like to watch them again some day. I was going to say "enjoy watching them," but that's not true. They were hard to watch, very poignant. I'm lucky enough to have a very special woman in my life, and Mitchell's scenes remind me to never take that for granted.

Of course, the fact that my dad and I aren't on the best of terms right now probably coloured the movie as well. It's not like I'm going to pick up the phone after watching this kind of movie. It's more to do with feeling strange because I don't want that relationship with him right now; movies like this make those feelings seem wrong. Ah well, not the first time I've felt a bit freaky. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment