Sunday, November 23, 2003

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Extended Edition: I love this edition. I don't think any of the extra 43 minutes were in the battle of Helm's Deep (other than the trees' part in finishing off the rabble). Every one of them added that little bit more to the experience.

I really enjoyed the extra scenes with Faramir. He truly was a man in this edition, flesh and blood. But even the smaller additions, like Theodred's funeral, were powerful. When Theoden says to Aragorn, "Let today be the day we ride together," we know he's thinking about a day of his childhood, when Aragorn and his grandfather rode into battle, thanks to Eowyn's conversation with Aragorn.

It's been a while since I saw The Two Towers in the theatre, but I don't think that was the only reason for my difficulty in identifying the original material from the extra; this edition simply flows, at a perfect pace. More so than most movies, it has the feel of the crackling hearth, of being tucked in bed, of stories as they're meant to be told. And they cannot be rushed. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment