Sunday, December 07, 2003

Bullitt: I have at least one reader; he berated me for not watching any Steve McQueen movies. Well, I'm happy to say that's no longer the case, because, despite all the hype, I'm not disappointed. I really enjoyed this film.

There's something about older movies; the pace... Well, it's down right slow at times, but the tension never wanes. I guess it's the realism that pace brings to the movie; you could be Frank Bullitt, in this case. Incidentally, I can't believe the guy's name is Bullitt and he doesn't draw a gun until the last few minutes of the movie, doesn't even carry a gun for the first half of it. That was awesome. Hell, McQueen looked like he could stop a bullet with that stare of his.

And what about that chase on the tarmac! That just screamed Heat! I can picture a young Michael Mann watching it and thinking, "I'm going to make a movie that ends on the tarmac." The other wave of déjà vu hit me during the car chase, but I can't pin that one down. Again, just awesome pacing, and all the better because Bullitt doesn't draw his gun. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment