Monday, December 08, 2003

Life or Something Like It: This is one of my wife's favourite movies; she's probably seen it a dozen times now, whereas this was only my second viewing. I'd forgotten how charming it was at points; material that might've flopped in other deliveries was real... Coming out of Lanie's (Angelina Jolie) mouth, written on her face. I think Angelina did a great job.

The strike scene was one of my favourites. It's amazing how the same footage can appear inspired and... normal with a bit of background music, and so off-the-wall as a close-up voice track. She singing Satisfaction, along with 50 other people, and then, she's just yelling, much loader than everyone else, and the camera's so close that you can't see the crowd, only her wild expression. It was very effective, and a little disturbing. The power of the media...

I guess Edward Burns got this job after Edward Norton pulled out. I only mention it as trivia. While I like Ed Norton a lot, I think Ed Burns did a great job. His scene in the bar with Vin (Max Baker) was a hoot too: the Altoids metaphor. :-) Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment