Saturday, December 20, 2003

Something's Gotta Give: What a beautiful film! The trailer had me suspecting it would be funny and poignant, but nothing like it was... It was like a great piece of music, for goodness sake, the way it moved and came together. (And while I'm on the subject, the soundtrack was spectacular. I had my doubts when it opened with that stupid Butterfly song, but even that worked... somehow.)

Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson were amazing. I mean, truly amazing. The script was excellent, but they brought those characters to life. This movie had some extreme highs and lows, and we rode each one with them. They both have a number of scenes where they cry, and I know you'd think that would knock you out of the moment at some point, but the truth is that those scenes wouldn't have worked without it; they felt right, and Keaton and Nicholson made them right.

It's funny: I wondered why Keanu hadn't bugged me, why he wasn't his goofy self. "Could he have acted?" I wondered. "No," my wife assured me, "he was simply blown off the screen by Keaton and Nicholson." So true! Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment