Sunday, December 28, 2003

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: Well, first, let me just say that it took me a long time to decide that I wanted to see this movie. In fact, I think I only decided a few months ago, after watching Terminator 2: Judgment Day for the sixth or seventh time.

I'd heard a lot about this movie. Some said the story was excellent (I agree), others said it followed T2 scene-for-scene (again, I agree; more on this in a moment) and they never should've bothered to make it, still others said it was great on its own.

All this served to prepare me for what turned out to be a very bizarre experience. I love T2, and I don't think I could've enjoyed this movie if I didn't know that it would follow T2 so closely; it would've upset and annoyed me. As it was, I just sat in wonder as it followed the formula for Terminator success.

Observe the following similarities (off the top of my head):The list could go on and on. Heck, they even use exactly the same music for the Bad Terminator crashes their vehicle and begins the final stalk scene; you know, the factory scene in T2? It's a bunker scene in this one. What's even more uncanny is the timing of these similarities. I swear that the initial chase sequence occurs within 15 minutes of the Dirt bike versus tow truck scene in T2. It's the same all the way through, and then this one tacks on a 10-minute conclusion.

Having said all that, I really liked this movie. I know, it sounds strange, but once I knew to expect it I thought, Oh, I loved this scene in T2. It was like watching an alternate movie; and let's face it, these time-travel movies lend themselves quite well to that sort of thing. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment