Thursday, December 18, 2003

The Towering Inferno: I guess it was about half way through this nearly-three-hour movie when I started thinking that I'd only seen horrible images like these one other time in my life: the morning of September 11, 2001, when the World Trade Center towers in New York City burned and collapsed, killing nearly 3000 people. This realization made the final scene all the more chilling: Chief O'Hallorhan (Steve McQueen) turns to Doug (Paul Newman) and says:
Architect! You know, we were lucky tonight. The body count was less than two hundred. One day, you're going to kill ten thousand in one of these, unless someone asks us how to build them.

I could say a lot more about this great film - it was a masterpiece of suspense - but all my thoughts pale in comparison to that ending. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment