Thursday, January 01, 2004

Raising Victor Vargas: I just wrote about 8 Mile's limited story. I guess the same could be said about this one; but it never felt like that, not for a moment. I heard about it at the same time that I heard about Thirteen, and I put them both in the tough-to-watch category. Why? Kids, young adults, struggling to find themselves. It's tough stuff, and a part of my life I don't enjoy reflecting on. (I haven't seen Thirteen yet, by the way.)

What can I say about this movie? Well, I'm shocked that this was a lot of the cast's first time acting. This was not an easy movie to act: most of it was shot very tight to the actors to create emotional attachment; it worked wonderfully, but any lack of sincerity in the eyes, any momentary loss of concentration, would glare on the screen. Having said that, at no point was I not completely absorbed in this movie. There was a camcorder feel to the shots as well; I'm sure it only added to the feeling that we were watching home movies, that Victor (Victor Rasuk), Vicki (Krystal Rodriguez) and Nino's (Silvestre Rasuk) life really was this crazy. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment