Saturday, January 24, 2004

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968): Happily, I didn't find myself comparing this one to the 1999 film of the same name. The chase theme is really all they share. I just enjoyed it for what it was: a great film.

The chaos of the opening credits was something else; I never would've dreamed it would work for a suspenseful scene like the first bank heist. But it did. Your eye was always drawn to the important frame of that crazy collage. And the best part was, it helped you appreciate the intricacy of the plan, Crown's (Steve McQueen) brilliance in pulling it off.

It was the same with the polo scene. He excels in chaos yet again. I don't think I've ever seen any scene like it. I think Guy Ritchie may have attempted it, but certainly not to that extreme.

But I think the biggest surprise was Vicki (Faye Dunaway); what a fascinating woman! Yes, Russo did a great job in the 1999 version - oh so subtle at times - but Vicki had a depth that could only be guessed. She was truly in control at times. The chess match was extraordinary! They both played it so well! Such tight shots, and yet it was like they were alone. And then her surgical blackmailing of the getaway car driver! Ho, this woman could be cold. Kidnapping children, no less! Brilliant! Just brilliant!

Yes, both films stand on their own; no question. But I've gotta say, while I like the second one a lot, I like this one more. (Don't tell my wife. She loves the 1999 take.) ;-) Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment