Saturday, February 14, 2004

The Lord of the Rings (1978): Well, googling this movie looks time-consuming, so I'll stop for a moment and type my thoughts while they're untainted. Since this was my first viewing, my first thought was, "Now I have an inkling of how the unsuspecting hordes felt at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring." :-) I was expecting another hour of material, despite knowing the capacity of VHS tapes. In my suspended search for the movie's animation technique, I did learn that there was supposed to be a second movie. I have to say, it's a pity Bakshi didn't get to make it.

Speaking of rotoscoping, I thought it worked quite well in this movie. The Black Riders were especially impressive. The scene where the four hobbits are hiding beside the road was very good (and reminiscent, given the order I watched them in, of Jackson's take). My favourite part was the rider's crippled shuffle; it really added something to the horror of him... Similar to Jackson's earthworms and such.

And then there was the scene at the ford: it was much better than Jackson's take, in my mind. I was amazed that Bakshi spent so much time there, given his ambitious project, but it was so good. The power of the riders, even from a distance, was so terrifying, something that Jackson didn't match. Jackson nailed it in the first few scenes with the riders, but by the time they were washed away at the Ford of Loudwater, they didn't hold the same fear over us.

By the same token, this movie went downhill from there. Moria was abysmal; I don't even want to speak of it. Galadriel's mirror was another disappointment, although what can compete with Jackson's vision of the "Dark Queen?"

I did like the breaking of the fellowship, however. That was another high point. For whatever reason, Jackson decided to set aside Aragorn's indecision. This movie captured Tolkien's material well. Boromir, too, was excellent; taking seven (or eight?) arrows before he fell. :-) It was the little things that made me smile... Oh, like "For the Shire!" Obviously, on the whole, Jackson's scene was far superior, but by including moments like that one between Frodo and Boromir, Bakshi's work has won a place in my heart. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments:
WHAT? I FAR prefer Galadriel's self-mocking laugh in Bakshi's version to Jackson's LOUD SPECIAL EFFECTS "I'M A DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN" Galadriel. Pitiful.

The moment when Frodo views Bilbo as a scrabbling, Gollum-like Hobbit and is ready to punch him is magical. Especially when Bilbo realizes what had happened, and quietly tells him to put it away.
 
Post a Comment