Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Raising Arizona: Well... How'd I miss this gem? 1987! Holy cow! No wonder William Forsythe looks so young; a few years 'til he plays a great Al Capone. And Holly Hunter? You'd swear she hadn't spent a day outta that desert. Man, what a talent!

This has to be the longest introduction I've ever seen; and I was so enthralled, it shocked me when it finally came. Those beautiful words, spoken with that simple accent... The dichotomy left me in a stupor.

Every scene went completely overboard, and I was still laughing long after we hit water. The camera angles were great: Let's see Gale (John Goodman) and Evelle (William Forsythe) screaming from the front of the car; now the back; now covered in electric blue paint. Priceless.

And Hi's (Nicolas Cage) dreams were fantastic! Especially the introduction of The Lone Rider of the Apocalypse (Randall "Tex" Cobb). That was something out of a Stephen King short. :-)

Finally, the characters were so rich. Nathan "Watch yer butt!" Arizona (Trey Wilson) was awesome! I couldn't believe that monologue in front of the Feds and cops; the guy was on fire. And that phone call to the store was hilarious. Then there's Hi. Right from the get-go you were feelin' the guy; he was real. And when he talked of his nature, you believed him. "Yup, Hi, I know; you've tried to walk the line... You just weren't bein' true to your nature." I tell ya, not since The Dude have I been so taken with Coen characters. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment