Sunday, February 01, 2004

Sabrina (1954): I'm more than a little embarrassed to admit that I didn't know of this Bogie and Audrey classic. I was pleasantly surprised when my wife picked it off the shelf.

The pace of older movies is just great. The camera lingers on Sabrina's (Audrey Hepburn) face time and time again, and each time she says so much with a look, the slant of her lips. God, she's gorgeous. And the movie allows for that, requires that. There's an importance to setting things up, patiently building for that great line. The punches, the glass... it's more than just great moments; there's a symmetry in so much of it.

The camera angles are great too. That scene where Linus (Humphrey Bogart) is telling David (William Holden) about what he plans to do with Sabrina that day is just brilliant; his face is distorted through the swaying, plastic hammock, just like the meaning of his words.

Then there's Mr. Larrabee (Walter Hampden); what a hoot! That scene where Linus opens his closet door to find his father standing among his clothes, smoking away. "I thought you were your mother," he says. :-) Great stuff. I loved it. Probably means I should stay away from the 1995 remake. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment