Wednesday, February 18, 2004

State and Main: While not as tightly coupled as some of the other stories about writing stories that I've blogged about, this movie certainly follows that vein. However, unlike Joe's (Philip Seymour Hoffman) main character, he does get a second chance, affirming small-town life and entertaining all at once.

I knew I recognized the director's name... Mamet. (Cue the Richard Dawson voice) IMDB says! Glengarry Glen Ross, written by David Mamet. Man, I love that movie. Then there's The Untouchables, Wag the Dog, Ronin: his hand touched them all. Huh.

But back to this movie. It was fast and witty. Walt (William H. Macy) was horribly funny; to the point that I hope I never have to direct a movie. The focus, and the sincerity, that that man could fire off in any direction, at a moment's notice... *shudder* Like I said, horribly funny, and something I could never drum up. Ha! Actually, now that I think about it, sincerity might give you the wrong impression, and I can't capture it any better than Walt himself:
It's not a lie. It's a gift for fiction.
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment