Saturday, April 24, 2004

Cocktail (1988): Ah, the Superstation movie sucked us in again; really should've been out enjoying the sun. I really like this movie, though. For me, the reason it works is simple: the story is about friendship - how much Brian (Tom Cruise) and Doug (Bryan Brown) enjoy their conversations - and, guess what? I enjoy their conversations; they're my favourite scenes in the movie.

I also love the way time just slips by in the movie; that's a big theme too. Don't be the worker, be the thinker or dreamer that's living it, commanding the workers. I did it my way. But, as I was saying, time. Like the last bet they make for the $500 bottle of... brandy, I believe: you know that all that time down the road, Doug'll win the bet, and die by his own hand that same day. (O.K., you don't know that the first time you watch it... Guess my point is that this movie is worth buying because you can appreciate it more than once.)

Bryan Brown is one of my favourite actors. Yes, I loved F/X. Or at least I did, those many years ago that I watched it. Hmm, a rental for this evening maybe? Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment