Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Escape from the Planet of the Apes: I have to admit, after reading the synopses for all the Planet of the Apes movies, I thought this one would be one of the worst; it seemed to be reaching... for more money. However, very early on I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, right from Dr. Otto Hasslein's (Eric Braeden) televised interview explaining the infinite perspective - I believe that's what he called it - I was entranced by his character.

Now, there was a moment - right about when Dr. Lewis (Bradford Dillman) gave Cornelius (Roddy McDowall) a pistol, making Heston and all card-carrying members of the NRA proud, no doubt - when I figured the movie would descend into cheesiness - more than one, in fact - but it always managed to turn it around. When I thought Dr. Hasslein wouldn't call in the Army, so he could board the ship John Wayne style and have a big shootout, they knew right where to find him, indicating that he had called them offscreen at some point. And when I thought the happy ending was inevitable, a bittersweet ending emerged.

And then there was Ricardo Montalban as Armando. :-) I don't remember watching a lot of Fantasy Island, but, with the grin that that guy puts on my face every time I see him, I must have. (I always think of him with his arms wide open too. Not sure what that's about. Welcoming people to the island, maybe.) Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment