Sunday, April 18, 2004

Kill Bill - Volume 1: For those that don't know the flesh 'n' blood me, I'm a huge Tarantino fan. Not sure if I'm repeating myself, but I had a sheltered childhood; movie watching was often a biannual event - on my and my brother's birthdays - that only got to the terribly disturbing level of Darkman (heavy sarcasm) in later years. (I actually remember my father's horror when he caught my brother and I watching the first five minutes of Lethal Weapon in Uncle Fraser's den all those years ago.) My point, you ask? I was just getting into movies - and music, beer, women, etc., but I digress - when Pulp Fiction was released, and I've loved Tarantino's movies ever since.

Speaking of Pulp Fiction, I was cool to hear Tarantino talk about the birth of Kill Bill in the making-of feature on the DVD: it was during the shooting of Pulp Fiction, and it really shows. From fantastic music - in the vein of Misirlou - to Uma's drawing a square to Vernita Green's (Vivica A. Fox) perfect Jules voice... it just dripped off this thing.

I'm going to be watching this again and again, just like I've watched Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction many times; that's the only way you come to appreciate his Fruit Brutes. And, actually, this movie's got me thinkin' I should give Jackie Brown another chance. I think I was expecting too much the first time I saw it... It's been a long time, and I think I'm ready to appreciate it. Plus, my wife hasn't seen it. She loved this one too, by the way. Just a great ride. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment