Sunday, April 04, 2004

Lost in Translation: Well... This is what it's all about, right?
Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson): Does [life] get easier?
Bob (Bill Murray): No... Yes.
...
Charlotte: I just don't know what I'm supposed to be.
Bob: You'll figure that out. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.

I'll take his word for it; it sounds good, but I'm still on the outside, looking in.

It's movies like this that scare me... We're here for such a short time... I've been here for a significant chunk of my time (optimistically speaking, of course; don't know my departure date), and I'm still lost, in many ways. And yet, it's so easy to forget that. Stay away from movies like this, and you're just about home free in fact. I mean, yes, the world will try to convince you that you don't have enough stuff, but you've got half a dozen tools - right in your back pocket - to deal with that crap, right?

I wrote a message to myself last year - 2003-05-18 to be precise - a map of where my head was; just so I wouldn't forget. At that time, I was thinking about moving to Italy - moving to another country's the important part; Italy had competition from New Zealand as the months passed - to help me focus on what's important. To find myself, if you want to continue the lost theme. I arbitrarily gave myself a year. Obviously I'm not going to make it. Still, I haven't forgotten. That's something.

The movie? Oh. I loved it. There was something about it - so many silent or quiet scenes - that you knew to pay attention to everything; every shot had something to say. Both Bill and Scarlett respected that, delivering simple, beautiful performances. World, if you're listening, this movie is me. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment