Friday, May 07, 2004

First, John hasn't watched anything for a week? No, no. In fact, I watched quite a few movies last weekend. I'm just a procrastinator of renowned skill. Oh well, on with the shows...

13 Going On 30: Ah, Thriller. I remember this sock hop we had back in Grade 4: it started with everyone huddled around this small TV on the gym floor, all spooky with the lights out (the 4 p.m. sunshine safely locked outside). I was really freaked out! Those eyes! Those fangs! That was some scary s**t back then. I recognized Jenna's (Jennifer Garner) moves, but I never would've been able to come up them on my own; throw the spotlight into the mix and I'm a deer. Her hesitancy, biting half her lower lip... That was my favourite scene.

My wife is convinced that Rick Springfield is coming back, thanks to this movie and soundtrack. :-) Now, while I enjoyed Jessie's Girl as much as the next 80's child, I'm not convinced. My cousin Valerie just loved this guy - her room was wallpapered in Rick Springfield posters - way back when, but I just don't think that hair would fly today. :-) Man, that guy's still making music...

Hmm, final thoughts on the movie... The ending was strange. Maybe I've watched too much time altering, but it seemed like a huge leap that by changing her past so drastically, Jenna only altered who was getting married that day. Of course, I'm not advocating the Jenna-and-Matt (Mark Ruffalo) die-in-a-horrible-car-accident-at-18 ending either. I just didn't think they needed any of it. And if it had to be sappy, end it with that kiss at 13. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment