Saturday, May 15, 2004

The Siege: Glad I bought this one; I'm still tryin' to figure out how all those agencies and officials fit together down south, and it wasn't like this story was gonna stop to explain it (as it shouldn't).

I wonder how this movie was received back in '98... No one will see it the same way again, that's for sure.

Hub (Denzel Washington) was excellent; I loved the way he was completely off his rocker at times (like when he barged into that classroom. That was stupid, he got lucky, and I believed he'd been pushed to that point). The nose bleed earlier on was fantastic too!

Elise/Sharon (Annette Bening) was also great. In fact, I put it right up there with her role in American Beauty (which I guess was still a year away at this point).

The down side? The General (Bruce Willis) was wooden; terribly so, I'd have to say. Willis killed every scene he was in. Whereas Washington is his character (I mean, I've seen three of his movies in as many weeks, and not once have I thought, That's something his other character would've said), Willis gets this look in a close-up... I don't know if it's John McClane, David Addison Jr., or some morph of them, but it is definitely consistent - annoyingly so - and it snapped me out of every one of his scenes. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment