Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Behind the Planet of the Apes: I had to stop watching this one. I didn't realize it covered the TV series as well, and I didn't want to colour my view of it; there was that risk: I see the movies in a completely different light now. For example, I had no idea that they were family movies, rated G! I suppose that's obvious to anyone who read my "bloodless" revolution criticism of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. Well John, it was quite bloody, but the studio was only willing to raise the rating to PG. Ah, the almighty dollar!

While I'm on the subject, the steadily decreasing budget of the movies struck me as completely bizarre. No wonder Battle for the Planet of the Apes looked like crap! They only had - What was it? $1.8 million? - to work with. Again, my criticism focused on "the wealth of material." Doesn't do you much good if you don't have a wealth of cash.

Finally, some of the social commentary eluded me. For instance, I'm just reading about the Watts Riot now, so the parallels between it and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes were lost on me. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment