Wednesday, June 30, 2004

The Conversation: Wow. I hadn't even heard of this one before I saw it on Suprnova and downloaded it. I don't know if I've ever felt so much like I was watching a Kubrick film when I wasn't: the scene where Caul (Gene Hackman) eventually singles out the line, "He'd kill us if he got the chance," was so Kubrick; from the close-ups of the audio equipment and his face, to the score... Oh, it was fantastic!

Boy, that ending was seriously disturbing. It was set up beautifully, though. The dream sequence, where it's like he was looking through a thin sheet, mirrored the shots through the shower curtain. And the shot of the clean toilet bowl filling with blood from the tank after he flushed it... A perfect, agonizing pace. Heck, I'm still not sure what really happened versus what he imagined. Hackman played the tortured soul as well as I've seen it, allowing Coppola to merge the real and nightmare worlds seamlessly. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment