Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Planet of the Apes (1974) - Episode 1: Escape From Tomorrow: And so the TV series begins... What an opening! I had high hopes for it, with an artistic opening like that! Just the score, and that beautiful conclusion: focus on the raised crossbow, pull back, with the sunset in the background, until three black apes silhouettes on horseback appear, almost perfectly still. They don't make openings like that anymore.

Of course the show couldn't live up to that. It was cheesy, but not so much so that I couldn't enjoy parts of it. Oddly enough, one of the things that annoyed me most was Alan's (Ron Harper) and Pete's (James Naughton) clean-shaven faces. :-) It really bugged me; day after day, how are they shaving so well amongst all these hairy apes!

I did enjoy Counselor Zaius (Booth Colman), though. His character was entertaining - especially early on with Galen (Roddy McDowall) - but also driven; I believed he was capable of murder (or ordering it). Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment