Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Yesteryear: Live at the Ottawa Little Theatre: This was a pleasant surprise. My wife's friend couldn't make it to the play, so she gave us her tickets. I enjoyed it, for the most part - especially the first "gathering of the boys" to blow off steam and drink whiskey - the atmosphere of the theatre was completely outside our daily lives. Most of the audience was much older, for one thing, but the frequent applause and singing of the national anthem were also uncommon, and thoroughly enjoyable, I might add.

In a funny coincidence, our supper conversation of political platforms continued as the main character decided he wanted to run for city council; discussions of original, inspiring platforms ensued. One comment that struck me came from the main character's fiancé; prior to his decision to enter politics, she remarked that couldn't marry a loafer (he'd come into some money in the story); that a profession is a man's keel.

I used to feel the same way, back when I was in school. Now, some years later, I find my scientist foundation - having graduated with a bachelor of science in computer science - inadequate for sailing life's seas. Oh, it's a help: it frames the world, giving me a healthy skepticism. But the kickers in life are the moral decisions: doing the right thing, living a good life. Now I've also heard that religion is a man's keel (or a similar metaphor), and most of the religions that I've encountered offer plenty of advice for dealing with the kickers; I guess it just clashes with the scientist in me.

We went to Ottawa's main mosque during Doors Open Ottawa, and I was really impressed by my crash course on Islam; I even picked up a free translation of the Qur'an. But very early on, the Qur'an is talking about belief in God, and the consequences for those who do not believe, or only speak of it without holding it in their heart... The language is very forceful, and I found myself disappointed. I don't believe, or, more to the point, I am not certain, so where does that leave me? With a makeshift keel, I guess; it serves its purpose in these calm waters. But those storms of the past? No wonder they threw me for a loop! Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment