Friday, July 23, 2004

I, Robot (2004): I'm in the middle of the book right now. It's a series of stories, as recalled by Dr. Susan Calvin (played by Bridget Moynahan in the movie)... Well, so far, anyway. I figured I was still safe from the "not as good as the book" syndrome, since none of the stories I'd read looked anything like the trailer. Turns out the screenplay was just "suggested by" Isaac Asimov, so, beyond some insight into the characters of Doctors Calvin and Lanning (played by James Cromwell in the movie), it seems I was never in any danger of that sort of disappointment.

Having said all that, the result of the suggestion was breathtaking. The visual effects alone were unbelievable; add in an exciting, fast-paced story and simple, subtle acting and we've got ourselves a winner, folks. Initially the product placement was over-the-top, but it did settle down before too much damage was done. I was also hoping for subtle differences in fashion - being set 40-odd years in the future - but, then again, maybe they were too subtle for me to pick up on.

I had no idea that Alex Proyas directed it. None. I was surprised, initially; then the parallels to Dark City (1998), and even The Crow (1994), started comin' at me from all directions. I love that guy's style. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment