Saturday, August 07, 2004

Cold Mountain: Humph. I'm not sayin' it was void of any redeeming qualities - the soundtrack comes to mind; I bet it's a doozy, with lots of Jack White, one would hope - but, shoot! Did they have to draw it out so horribly? It's a tale that should be told, and they certainly got a lot of talent to tell it - even the minor roles were played by the likes of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Natalie Portman, for example - but, I just didn't care about any of the characters; that's right, not even Ada (Nicole Kidman). And that, of course, would make just about anything seem horribly drawn out.
Note: spoilers follow...

I'm not sure why I didn't buy in, but I feel that the shotgun start bears a large part of the responsibility. Dirt 'n' blood was flyin' before I could bat an eyelash, and the movie jumped back and forth over three years at least half a dozen times in the first half hour. It was just too much, and Inman (Jude Law) and Ada's relationship of few words made that love all the harder to establish, and then sustain, for two and a half hours. Yes, they addressed this when the two finally met again, but that didn't make it any easier to sit through. It's a sentiment Sidney Lumet has expressed: real life is often boring. A tale of true love, in the most literal sense, doesn't necessarily make for good entertainment.

Of course, my expectations were undoubtedly inflated by all the acclaim for the movie that I read; I keep coming back to my brother-in-law's school of thought: the less you know about a movie going in, the better. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment