Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Joined: The Secret Life of Siamese Twins: Man. I didn't catch all of this TLC show, but my mind is just reeling from some of the things that were said, so I can't very well not write about it.
Siamese twins must be separated; even if one will likely be sacrificed. They cannot live like that. Society will treat them like a monster.
--The doctor in charge of the show's major operation

I don't know why these thoughts upset me, but I feel it was probably their finality. I hope that there are communities that would accept Siamese twins as equal members; not where I live, I'm sure, but somewhere.
Everybody has a weakness. Ours are Chang and Eng. We dream about them; that they find us and somehow force us back together.
--Separated Siamese twin (Hassan? I'm not sure of the spelling), speaking for himself and his brother (Hossein?)

Isn't that frightening? Man, images worthy of The Exorcist flashed before my eyes as I watched this kid state his nightmare.
I'm glad our parents separated us. Hossein likes to play football. I like to stay inside and play chess or PlayStation. We wouldn't be able to do that if we were joined. We would be living a life of compromises.
--Hassan

It's hard to argue with that logic. Yes, they are twins, but they are two different people. Hassan's final words were haunting, though (helped by the camera's staying with the shot of the two boys and their mother on the couch long after there was only silence):
I never would've forgiven my parents if Hossein had died.
Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment