Sunday, August 29, 2004

Ronin (1998): Man, I often get John Frankenheimer and William Friedkin confused for some reason. For instance, watching these fantastic car chases again, I was convinced that the director had also directed The French Connection (1971), when that one was actually directed by Friedkin. When Frankenheimer's name came up at the end of this one, I'd knew I'd made the mistake yet again. Incidentally, Frankenheimer also directed The French Connection II (1975), in case you thought you had all this down pat.

Frankenheimer directed the BMW film Ambush, which I was also reminded of. I remember him talking about the fantastic camera mounts he worked with on that project to get the low, close shots that really gave you a feel for the car's speed. Just great stuff. I see that they've now put up some new ones.

But, back to Ronin: what an amazing cast, and what a great script. The pace had me a hold of me and didn't let up; much like it did in The Bourne Supremacy, now that I think about. I must've missed some stuff the first few times I saw it because I had this impression that there were some slow bits. Not so, not so. Every little bit added something, especially when it came to Sam's (Robert De Niro) scenes; manipulation au café. :-)

Aside: you know, for some reason I thought there was a 'b' in seppuku; no wonder I had such a hard time tracking it down. :-) Someone wouldn't believe me when I told them the name; it was probably my pronunciation. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment