Wednesday, September 22, 2004

First, an explanation for my sporadic posting as of late: I've discovered City of Heroes. That's right, folks, I now call two cities home: my nation's capital, and Paragon City ("The Birthplace of Tomorrow"). Coincidental, given that this post is about...

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: Quentin Tarantino said that a movie's opening music should let the audience know what they're in for - he was talking about his perfect choice of Misirlou for the opening of Pulp Fiction, incidentally - and I have to say that Kerry Conran did a spectacular job of that in this movie. I was set for an adventure of heroic proportions after listening to that thrilling track.

Now, other than watching the trailer a few times - and knowing the movie would be visually impressive - I knew very little about this movie going in. I found out that it was based on a comic book, that it - and possibly the comic book - was a 50's-style production, and that it was the first movie to be entirely shot in front of a blue screen.

Having not read the comic book, I'll skip to the 50's style. No, that doesn't mean I'm well versed in 50's cinema; quite the opposite, in fact. What's interesting, though, is how I compared it to something that I was familiar with: the adventures of Indiana Jones. :-) And I would add that it held its own against my Indy favourites; namely Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade.

Finally, I can only imagine how strange it must be to act a part in front of a blue screen, from start to finish. You should've seen the list of studios involved in producing the visual effects! It must've taken five minutes of screen time to show it. As my wife said, this will definitely be one for the DVD library. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment