Saturday, October 09, 2004

City Confidential: Miami Beach: Smugglers & Speedboats: I love watchin' these shows about "the good ole days." Usually it's America after WWII, one guy at the helm, and this show was no exception. In this case, the man to be was Don Aronow, The King of Thunderboat Row.

This Donzi Marine ad from the 70's sums up the man, the company, heck, the whole powerboat industry:

Donzi Marine - Your kind of action

Now, I suppose I should qualify that: it started out that way in the 60's, that's what it is today, but I guess for a time it was the smugglers who were driving the powerboat industry; so much so that the U.S. Customs started buying Blue Thunder catamarans to catch them, from none other than Don Aronow, of USA Racing this time.

For me, the funniest part of the show was the way it ended; the way all these good-ole-days shows end: they're done, thanks to boring people complaining about the noise, the pollution, the eyesores; in summary, "the pussies." What's so funny about that? That I was buying it. I'm sittin' there, a guy who will never buy - or even ride in - a powerboat, lamenting the demise of Thunderboat Row in favour of housing. These producers are good; heck, I bet they could make me feel bad about the death of the sports clothing sweat shops in Mexico if someone threw enough money at it. :-/ Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment