Saturday, October 23, 2004

Top Speed: Land: Wow! Quite something, seeing the tires melt off a car. Not a problem with for ThrustSSC (for supersonic car): it blasts across the salt on aluminum rims. My favourite quote came from the driver, Andy Green, talking about the moments after his record-breaking run:
We'd just barely finished up the run, and the team's already celebrating. The officials haven't announced anything, they've never seen the car running out of test before. I'm thinking, they can't have any idea how fast I was going... And then it hits me: they've heard the first land-speed-generated sonic boom.

The hot-rod footage from Utah was really cool too. Guys like Art Arfons, getting their hands on a then-classified jet engine, taking it apart and customizing it for land racing, put these modern Pimp My Ride kids to shame. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment