Saturday, November 20, 2004

The Incredibles: Oh, man, I won't go for the obvious pun, but this was a fantastic movie. And I'm not just talking about the animation - which was incredible... Oh, there, it slipped out - the story, the characters, the dialogue: it was a well-oiled machine, my friends, a tight ship.

It doesn't matter how good your ideas are - and a superhero relocation program is pretty good - if you can't bring the human element to the story, make us really care about what's going on, eventually we'll tune out. (Yes, even when you throw in explosions at ten-minute intervals.) By the 30-minute mark, these characters were human, in my mind. Occasionally I'd take a moment to appreciate the animation - especially around any body of water - but mostly I was just thinking, "Yeah, that's what marriage is like," or, "Yeah, that's the way my little cousin talks about Disney World;" the list goes on and on.

Did anyone else think of those speeder bikes from Return of the Jedi during Dash's (the voice of Spencer Fox) tears through the jungle? :-) I'm sure it was the sound coming from those fantastic hovercraft chasing him, quickly followed by the side-by-side looking at each other as they sped along. :-) Just wicked!

And then, of course, there was the family as the perfect team, their powers complementing each other beautifully. The thoroughly-addicted City of Heroes player in me just reveled in that. That's what makes the game so much fun: teaming with groups that just work. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment