Sunday, December 19, 2004

Primer: My friend politely summed this one up: This was a very challenging movie. I agreed, and added that I might understand it after the third viewing, but that it would probably take ten times through to catch all the dialogue. It just didn't stop, didn't even take a breath. And I thought Memento (2000) mucked about with time. None of the Star Treks can touch this movie on their most paradoxical days.

Because I was so lost, well, first of all, I can't spoil it for anyone, and, second, I'll stick to how it impressed me, because it really did. #1 in my mind right now is writer, director, editor, composer - yes, even that wicked score was his creation - producer, Shane Carruth. This math guy has created something, well, it sure seemed grounded in science, really special in any case; and for pennies it seems. From the movie's Web site, 'Amazingly, given the film'’s impressive production values, Primer cost about $7000, or, as Carruth says, “the price of a used car.”'

#2 is the quality of the sets, the calibre of the cast (so many rookies!), the razor-sharp dialogue - they knit such an intense experience; it was mesmerizing. Actually, and I mean this with the greatest respect, because I did buy what that movie was selling, it had a Blair Witch intensity. In both cases, there was a point beyond which I wasn't watching fiction anymore, science or otherwise. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment