Monday, January 31, 2005

Battlestar Galactica - Season 1: Episode 3: Bastille Day: First, let me say that this was much better than Water. I can see I'll be watching this show for a while, just to see where it goes.

My favourite scene, by far, was the conversation between the doctor and Commander Adama. Well, and Number Six too, of course. :-) Her shouting, the way her spaghetti strap fell and stayed down, the good doctor's little squeal, the broken glass, Adama pouring the rest of his water back into the thermos: it all made for a very tense, real scene.

My least favourite scene, again, by far, was the standoff between Captain Apollo and Tom Zarek (Richard Hatch). While the storming of the Astral Queen was efficient - unlike many depictions of marines; man, don't I hate the incompetent marine theme - the devices that kept Zarek alive (namely, Apollo's head and then shove) were too coincidental; they took me right out of the moment. Zarek should've been shot dead. Apollo and all the hostages would've quickly followed, no doubt, but the writers wrote themselves into a corner on that one; I'm just callin' it like I see it.

And while we're on the subject of the writers, what's with the title of the episode? Bastille Day, from what I've read, had more to do with politics than the release of prisoners; there were few prisoners in the Bastille on July 14, 1789, and those who were there were probably criminals only in the sense that they'd offended some king or queen.

So let's switch to this episode: the men (and women?) on the Astral Queen committed crimes; they broke the law. And yet, it's the law that's held up as the winner at the end of the episode. No, to compare the two events seems silly to me. It's like the writers said, "Hey, we have a prison, prisoners, a revolution, a power-to-the-people message; it's perfect!" :-/ Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment