Saturday, January 08, 2005

Closer (2004): A real, neat package, with The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice as bookends. It floors me that Mike Nichols is not only still making movies in his seventies, he's making freakin' amazing ones; this is the same guy who directed The Graduate back in 1967, just about a decade before I was born.

The time just flew during this one. The dialogue was riveting, absolutely riveting. (Patrick Marber deserves a nod for that, having adapted his play for the screen.) And, come to think of it, the silence was too: the close-ups, the looks left hanging, all created so much delicious tension. Nichols is master.

But repartee will only get you so far, and what took me beyond in Closer were the genuine relationships. Of course, I can only speak on the male portrayals with authority, but my wife expressed a similar sentiment (to my surprise, I must admit). Yes, ladies, men really are that obsessed with the sex. (Feel free to comment if I'm wrong, guys.)

Speaking of sex, this movie was much sexier than most movies, especially those with the token simulated sex scene. Does anybody get off on that crap? I mean, yes, I like pointless nudity as much as the next guy, but this was a welcome break to reality. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment