Sunday, January 23, 2005

King Arthur (2004): The attention to history was clear from the moment the film opened. I don't pretend to know any of it, but David Franzoni, the screenwriter, said he based Arthur (Clive Owen) on Lucius Artorius Castus in the roundtable discussion on the DVD. Certainly, the language, the costumes and the performances blended for a very believable experience.

For example, Hugh Dancy (who played Galahad) learned, not only how to ride a horse at great speeds, but also how to fire arrows while doing so. That's an incredible feat, as Antoine Fuqua, the director, pointed out in the roundtable discussion.

I really don't know what else to say about the picture, though; it has me at a loss for words. I mean, it was refreshing to see Merlin (Stephen Dillane) as a slightly-crazed wild man - I'm as tired of the pointed hats as any fantasy fan - but that's pretty much the extent of my comments on him. I also enjoyed Arthur's attempt to follow Pelagius' example, despite knowing nothing of the monk prior to watching the movie.

I guess, all in all, the movie's left me feeling a bit melancholy. Fighting and dying, so many, and for what? The Britons? That's all well and good when you have a leader like Arthur to honour your sacrifice each and every time you come together at the Round Table, but that's rare, frankly, and noble causes tend to suffer in the light of scrutiny. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment