Saturday, January 29, 2005

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World: There's something fragile about a ship at sea, far from home. I don't know if it can be done poorly on film. That is to say, I don't know if that wouldn't come across in any film that truly depicted people against the elements. The only example I can think of is White Squall, which did it fantastically. Master and Commander was just as brilliant.
Note: spoilers follow...

I heard it described as a long pause between two battles, and, on some level, that's true. But once you look beyond the superficial, the movie told one of many tales in the lives of the crew of the HMS Surprise and the man who led them - Capt. "Lucky" Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) - one which happened to begin with a defeat and end with a victory.

I found it to be genuine for a number of reasons, but chiefly for the performances - all of them - and the dialogue behind them. No scenes exemplified this better than those in the officers' mess, with the freely flowing drink and rousing a cappella verse.

Did you notice how they waited 'til the very end to show the French? Interesting device: showing the view from their ship without ever showing the men themselves. It gave weight to the phantom ship theme, now that I think about it. Hey, I'll admit it: some of those stories had me creeped out. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment