Monday, January 17, 2005

Oprah: Nate Berkus: The Tsunami Disaster: Nate said it wasn't just the sights: it was the sound and the smell. I can't imagine either. I couldn't imagine the sights before I saw them (on a television).

I had an experience where I wondered, for a few terrifying moments, whether I would drown in white water. The powerlessness of it was more than I ever would've believed. It's because of that experience that I think I understand maybe a fraction of the smallest part of Nate's experience in the water. Without that, it's just words. You nod your head and think you understand the horror, but when you're in the water, you assume you have some control. Maybe not complete control, but some. To have that taken away from you - even for just a few seconds, in my case - is something I never want to experience again. To experience it for hours? I can't imagine. Truly, I cannot. And, then, add to that, the horror of losing the love of my life... The strength of the human spirit is... surprising. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment