Sunday, May 28, 2006

Too Hot Not To Handle: This HBO documentary was a bit sensational, but enjoyable nonetheless. See, even though I didn't agree with all that was presented, or how it was presented, I loved all the recommendations that came out of it: buying locally grown food, building more renewable-resource-based sources of power (e.g., wind, solar), hybrid vehicles, etc. The more people that latch on to those good ideas - for whatever reason - the happier I am. :-)

I guess the biggest problem I had with the show was the leap it made from "greenhouse" gases to global warming, using the ambiguous term 'contributing'. I would've liked them to spend more time explaining this contribution, and the extent of it. After all, these gases probably aren't the only factor contributing to global warming, and if they're in the middle of a pack of, say, five or six factors - I'm pulling these numbers out of my a** to prove a point - then leaving people with the impression that cutting back on the burning of fossil fuels by 80% will solve this problem is being disingenuous: tackling other factors might be more productive, or, and I think this is more likely, acknowledging that at least some of these factors are out of our control, and will obviously dampen any measures we implement.

Anyway, as I said, good recommendations, even if the presentation was dumbed down. I know I have lots more research to do on this subject - Michael Crichton has done a lot of work on the subject, I understand - and any show that tries to convince me otherwise with its nice, neat package just bugs me. Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!
Comments: Post a Comment